Friday, October 15, 2010

Devil's Vomit

"A weird and scenic landscape peculiar to itself." ~President Calvin Coolidge


Every time we go to eastern Idaho for a visit, we pass by Craters of the Moon, and I tell myself "someday we'll stop." Well, someday never showed up so we did it Labor Day instead. Ha ha...I know. As we paid our fee and entered the park, Jamon said in wonderment: "Wow! What happened here?"

I never got the chance to answer because Carter, my budding scientist, already knew.

"Duh! Volcanoes happened." Boy was he in his element! I've never seen him sit so still as when we were in the visitors center watching the movie about the history of Craters of the Moon. He hung on every word...lava....magma....caldera of fire.......molten liquid. He couldn't take it any more and we raced out of the visitors center and began our exploration.

A pioneer traveling the Oregon Trail in the 1850s looked at the blackened earth and described the land before him as "Devil's Vomit." This seems an accurate description. Carter led the way as we hiked and explored caves. I think he had the time of his life.



I think we all did.


Being down in the cave was so much fun!

Scary. But fun.
The opening of the cave was nice and wide.
Not true of the exit. In fact, as we were leaving, I said to the boys: "I should've come out first and taken a picture of you guys. No one would believe the tiny hole we just crawled out of." Just then this guy popped his head through. He said I could take his picture to prove where we had just been . Thanks kind sir.
We couldn't have picked a better day to stop.

See Facebook. Isn't this so much better?

1 comment:

Amber said...

Yay you are back! I missed your blog updates:) I too have been Facebooking more and I am now wanting to blog again. I love the blogging thing it feels more like a journal. Craters of the Moon looks like it was a hit! Just your boys kind of thing too! You have such good kids, and you are such a great mom:)