Monday, July 27, 2009

Ode to Triple G...



Justin lost his grandma this weekend. I sometimes called her Triple G...for Great Grandma Grover. This is the last picture taken of her. How fitting that it was at Brian's wedding six weeks ago. She was able to see Brian get sealed to his eternal companion, and then went home to hers.

We were lucky enough to get to Idaho Falls time in time to say our goodbyes. I wondered what you say to someone when you know it'll be the last conversation you have...well, here on Earth anyway. We shared our favorite memories and told her we loved her. Then we said we'd see her later. She died a few hours after that.

She wasn't able to talk to us, but we knew she knew we were there. She squeezed my hand a few times, she smiled a few times, and she even opened her eyes twice. I told her how the boys bragged to their friends about their 93 year old grandma. How she was the putt-putt champion every time in golf!

Every time I saw her the first thing she said to me was: "I sure enjoy reading your blog. Those boys are growing up." Yes, grandma, they are. I am so grateful that they knew you. They have wonderful memories of weenie roasts and building a fort to share with the stray kitties. They loved getting a dollar in the mail every time they had a birthday. I loved that I was the only one able to decipher what the card said. After her stroke, her handwriting was shaky, but I could read it perfectly every time.

After she died Carter asked me if grandma would know what to do when she got to heaven. Yes, Carter, she will. Because she was met by angels and loved ones who helped her cross the veil. I'm so grateful for my testimony of eternal families. I'm grateful for temples that allow us to be sealed to our families for eternity.



3 comments:

Amber said...

Meeka that was a nice post. I stole that pic cuz i needed one for my blog i hope that's ok. I am glad you got to see grandma before she passed. see you again soon.

Peggy said...

Well, that just made me cry. It was beautiful. Grandma was/is so proud of you guys and your family, that's what she wanted most was her family to have strong testimonies. It was wonderful to see you all.

The Dilg Clan said...

That was so cute! Like my mother, I cried too. It was nice meeting you and your kids and seeing you all.