Monday, June 21, 2010

"I Love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life."
~Rita Rudner

As of this morning, Justin and I have been married for 14 years. Naturally, I've done some reminiscing. Before I tell you the conclusion I've come to, I have to tell you a little story first. Years and years ago....(weird being able to say that) Justin's little brother, Brian, came to Boise for a concert. He brought his girlfriend with him. They spent the weekend at our house and we had a good time. On the way back home to Rexburg, the girlfriend said to Brian, "I hope I never have to live like that."

You might be asking yourself "Live like what?"

I'll tell you. After college all of our friends were buying houses in Meridian. Yeah, I know. Meridian. We could only afford a house in Kuna. It was an itty bitty thing....1100 square feet. We had an old green couch that we inherited from my grandma when she passed away. Justin's parents had given us their old recliner which was an equal eye sore to the couch.

We had very little food in the pantry and I drove an old piece-o-crap Cherokee Chief that started on fire before we even got it home. If the engine was running, so was the heat. It was unpleasant in the summertime. Three months before I had Jamon, Camdon had to be hospitalized for three days. Then I had the baby. Then 6 weeks after that, I had to have my gall bladder taken out. So, in the space of about 4 months we racked up about $14,000 worth of medical bills.

Justin went to work during the day and I went to work at night.

BUT...

I can remember rocking my babies to sleep in that old recliner.

I can remember getting where I needed to be in that old jeep.

I can remember Justin making me laugh so hard I thought my stitches would fall out after that surgery.

And we had those bills paid off in less than two years.

So, my conclusion is this:

It has been the pleasure of my life to "live that way." We've come a long way baby. Eat your heart out Ashley. Or Amanda. Or whatever her name was. She should be so lucky to have lived where we've lived. I love you Justin. Happy Anniversary!

3 comments:

JBK said...

Right back atcha!

Anonymous said...

Didn't know you were so sentimental. You could write verses in greeting cards. Congratulations to you both. When it works, it works! skw

Suzanne said...

We are still living "that way" but were happy. I guess that is what matters. Congrats to you guys!