Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Okay....seriously, Santa?

Santa was good to me this year, but one of the things he put in my stocking was a book.  That's not the part that's wrong....he gives me a book every year.  Here's the problem.  The book?  Twilight.  Yes, Twilight.  Now, to be fair, it IS on the best seller list and they did just make a movie out of it.  So, if I'm Santa, it seems like a no-brainer.  

Here's the problem, though.  I have very adamantly REFUSED to read that book.  At first it was  because I wasn't interested in a love story about a vampire.  Get. Real.  However, I slowly began to notice that Twilight mania was sweeping the nation.  So, maybe there was something to it?  Still I refused to read.  At this point it was just stubbornness.  I DO read.  I love to read.  I read James Patterson, Jeffery Deaver, John Grisham, and recently I've discovered Jodi Piccoult...or however you spell her name.  

Anyway, when the movie came out I secretly made fun of the droves of women who were standing in line all night to be the first to see it.  I laughed at all the obligatory blog posts about their experience at the movie.  I really made fun of those who put that button on their blog about their necks belonging to Edward.  Ha Ha. 

So, here I was Christmas morning, book in hand, and not wanting to hurt Santa's feelings.  He, after all, was completely unaware of my commitment to remain "twilight free".  I love Santa and besides that, I was staring down the barrel of a 14 hour car-ride to the cabin and back.  I needed some serious entertainment.  

So, what choice did I have?  I read the book.  And this is the part where I apologize to everyone I made fun of.  The book was actually... okay.  Okay, it was actually... good.  Yes.  Let's leave it at that.  The book was good.  I'm pretty sure I won't read the other two.  Or is it three?  Everyone says the first is the best.  So, why bother?  I'm also pretty sure I won't ever see the movie.  There's no way it's going to be as good as the book.  Again, why bother?  

Anyway, just wanted to put it out there.  I'm now one of the millions who've read that book.  Yay!  Thanks, Santa....I think.  


2 comments:

Emili said...

HAHA. One of my college roommates informed me that she hadn't read it either and that she didn't want to. So, OF COURSE, I bought it for her for Christmas. SHe just let me know she liked it too.
The other 3 books are awesome, but I agree that they're not as good as the first. Still, in my opinion, definitly worth the read. Don't bother seeing the movie though, totally not worth it.

Carla Lara said...

Hi Meeka! I hope you don't mind I got your blog address from Denise's facebook. What a cute family you have. All boys, how fun!!!