Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Date Night

Date night is NOT what it used to be.  Twelve years ago date night meant dinner AND a movie and staying out late enough so that the sitter had to put the kids to bed.  Not me.  That was the whole treat.  Escaping responsibility for just one night.  

Things are different now.  Now I'm boring.  Or maybe I'm just getting old. Here's what date night looks like now:

 Justin and I went out Saturday night.  That morning I got a sitter and saved up my calories all day.  I was so excited as we haven't been out for a while.  Usually our date nights are ward temple night.  Don't get me wrong. That's a great thing to do!  But, I rarely get to go out to eat.  Justin goes out every day for lunch and I think he takes it for granted.  It's not a big deal to him, but to me, getting to go out to dinner is still a real treat.  Anyway, while we were waiting for a table, we talked about seeing a movie and he even looked up the show times.  Just like old times....dinner and a movie.  

Here's the sad part....well, it isn't sad.  That's my point about me getting boring.  Wanna know what we did after dinner?  We went to Walmart!  I know.  I know.  But,  I loved it!  We don't ever shop together.  It was fun and it served a purpose.  We needed a few things. But, we mostly just wandered and talked.  

We did go rent a movie after Walmart....but didn't even get around to watching it until last night.  

So, my point is this.  Going "out" is not what it used to be.  Rather than stay out all night and avoid the responsibilities of being a parent, now I love getting home in time to do it myself.  You know that saying:  "Because just being together is enough.."?  It's so true.  I don't care if I'm at a movie or at Walmart.  I just want to be with the people I love.   So, call me old...or call me boring.  Or maybe call me lucky.  

6 comments:

Amber said...

I agree it's just fun to go to dinner! We rarely go to movies. I always get anxiety if I leave my kids too long. Glad u had fun!

Carla Lara said...

So true Meeka! and I thought I was the only one who enjoyed going to Wal Mart on date night. You should try Home Depot next time, we do that too:)

Jessica said...

I still crave dinner and a movie but maybe in 7 years Walmart it will be =)

Leslie said...

We had this conversation at playgroup. Personally, I would take a walmart date over a movie anyday. I just don't have the attention span to sit through a movie anymore and usually the movie isn't worth it anyway.

Emili said...

And just think of all that money you saved by not going to a movie! We need to have mor date nights - seems like all our free time is spent working on remodeling some pat of our house. Maybe one day we'll get past all that!

Lisa said...

I'm glad we aren't the only ones who go to WalMart for special occasions. For our birthdays this year we went out to eat...then went to WalMart. Does it make it a little less pathetic if I went to spend my birthday money? I don't know. Bottom line though, Matt and I need more date nights, whether they end up at the WalMart or not.