Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm a Bronco again!

Yep!  I'm going back to school.  Today was my first day of classes.  Some of you might know this, but before we had Carter I applied to graduate school (school counseling), but didn't get accepted.  It was right after 9.11 and the advisor told me that normally they have around 90 applicants to the program and that particular year they had around 350.  Obviously I wasn't one of the ones accepted, which is fine.  I had a baby instead of going to graduate school.  This was definitely a better choice!  We love Carter and he completes our little family.

But, he's turning five in a few weeks and it's time for me to do something.  

So it's back to school I go.  BSU has a graduate program where if you've already earned a degree (which I have) then you can apply for this fast track program to earn a teaching certificate to teach whatever your degree is in.  One little glitch.  I met with an advisor who informed me that I was missing a few 100 level classes.  You see, back when I was at Ricks (now BYU- Idaho) 14 years ago, if you got an "A" in senior government or history, then you could waive the 100 level class and go right to the 200 level.  Well, it turns out that if you want to teach it, you have to take it.  Imagine the nerve! :)

So, anyway, I have to take a few classes before I can apply to this graduate program.  I'm currently enrolled in Political Science...uuuggghh,  and Eastern Civ.  Ryan, help!  

I've been having severe anxiety over this.  

Remember when I said I'd been puking?  I ended up at the Doc because I was so sick.  Turns out my stress and anxiety was the cause (and a little poor diet thrown in as well).  As I was leaving class today, it hit me.  All the emotions surfaced and I had a good cry right there in the mini van.  But it was one of those good cries.  The cleansing cry.  Guys, you probably have no clue, but the women will know what I speak of.  Anyway, as I was sitting there wondering what in the world I was getting myself into, a thought came to mind.  A scripture that asks, "have you enquired of the Lord?"  

I have.  And I know this is what I'm supposed to do.  It'll be hard to juggle it all, but well worth it.  I should be on track to do student teaching as Carter starts first grade.  Great timing if you ask me!  And a teacher's schedule is very conducive to motherhood.  So, I'm pretty excited, and a little scared.  But, mostly proud to be a Bronco again!

5 comments:

Amber said...

How cool! That is going to be so good, and you will be a great teacher. way to go!

Lisa said...

good for you Meeka. I admire you for going back and finishing. Good luck!

Jessica said...

I'm a little envious...I'm those nerdy people who actually like going to school. You'll do great and if anyone can juggle yet another thing into life it's you, you're like the toughest mom I know.

Leslie said...

Oh cool, Meeka! You can totally do it. Going to school is a lot of work, and you will have to switch around some of your priorities, but it's worth it. Don't you think it is cool that your boys will remember you going to college? You are setting such a good example!

Whitney said...

What a nice surprise. I have not blogged for a long time. I need to get back into it. I'm proud of you. You'll love learning now. I think I would enjoy it more. That is exciting. Good Luck!