Monday, May 3, 2010

Safely Gathered In

"The best food storage is not in welfare grain elevators but in sealed cans and bottles in the homes of our people. What a gratifying thing it is to see cans of wheat and rice and beans under the beds or in the pantries of women who have taken welfare responsibility into their own hands. Such food may not be tasty, but it will be nourishing if it has to be used."

My post about hoarding brought up an interesting conversation with a friend.
Don't mormons "hoard" food?
The word "store" is a much better choice and storing and hoarding are two totally different concepts.

Yes, I have a pantry full of food. Yes, my family could live for 9 months off of what's there. We cheated and bought 3 months worth of meals ( 2 a day for the 5 of us) from a company that freeze dries everything. The beauty of it is that you can store a ton of food in a very small space. It's good too. We sampled some before we bought it. It's a bit more expensive than the traditional methods of food storage, but we used our tax return last year and just got it done. When we added it to what we already had, it became about 9ish months worth of food. I suppose it might seem like I'm just as crazy as a hoarder, but it's very different, trust me. Hoarders are ashamed. I'm quite proud of what we've accomplished. If and when tradgedy strikes, come on over. We'll share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go girl.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot to identify anonymous. It's me,SKW. Ask your Boise Cousin if you can't figure it out. Don't worry, you know me and love me. Happy Mothers Day, Too. You are a great mom.

The Kay Family said...

I love you too!