Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Boy parts/Girl parts

I was so careful not to mention any details in my last post because I know that at least one, and sometimes two, of my boys regularly read this blog.  So I left out graphic words like "uterus" and "cervix".  I chose not to talk about IUD's falling out and getting lodged where they  don't belong causing severe amounts of pain, cramping, and blood loss.  All of this resulted in a new package of pills that mysteriously showed up in the medicine cabinet.  

"Mom, what's that little white pill you take every morning?"

"Never mind son. They're mommy's "vitamins". 

 I'm sure they're  thinking...."Some 'vitamins'.  They make you crabby, tired, and nauseous.  And why are you laying on the couch immovable while dad makes waffles for Sunday dinner?"  

Yes, I was so sure I was shielding my innocent boys from any information they'd be uncomfortable knowing.   There's plenty of time to learn about the birds and the bees, right?  After all, they're only 11 and 9, right?  Wrong.  

Guess what my 11 yr old son came home from school with yesterday?  A permission slip for him to attend a "Growth and Development" lesson taught by the school nurse.  There were a list of intended outcomes, but in short, the point is to make sure that the girls know what is soon going to happen to them and the boys know to refrain from mentioning/teasing/or otherwise drawing attention to any part of it.  Oh, and they'll also be taught the importance of showering every day due to these unfortunate events in there newly,  puberty-stricken lives.  

Anyway, upon getting this letter, I immediately got on the horn to all the other mothers of fifth graders.  "What do you think?"  "Should we let them attend?"  'Is this something we want to go over with them ourselves or trust the nurses?"

After all, I don't want my kid to be the only one of his peers attending.  Or worse yet, the only one NOT  attending. I asked him if he wanted to go.  You can guess his response.  He was adamantly against it.  I can understand that these "lessons" are embarrassing and uncomfortable, but still a part of life.  HHMMM.  What to do?  

Any thoughts?



9 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh my gosh, make him go! It's going to be embarassing no matter how he finds out. And what the heck about your IUD? We need to have a chat about that.

Jessica said...

I figured the ER patient would have been Camdon but would have never guessed it was you! Hope you got that all resolved and that your 'vitamins' don't mess with you too much...I hate those things. And I have no idea about that darn nurse presentation...can parents attend with their kids? That way you know what he learned and can build from that later when you think he's more ready.

Emili said...

oh, I'm so dreading the day my kids to be this age. Good Luck and I can't wait to hear what you decide!!

The Kay Family said...

It was actually Carter that went to the ER. Like I said, we were ALL a mess. Luckily my next door neighbor is a nurse practitioner for an OB office. She saved me the expense of ANOTHER ER visit this spring and just took me to her office after hours and took...I mean ripped it out. It was stuck in the wrong place pretty good.
Haven't done the "vitamins" for a while. Not loving them so far.

Amber said...

i have an IUD, and that is my greatest fear! scary. i hope you are ok. And as for the "Maturation class" as it was called when i was that age. I attended and still to this day remember how embarassing it was! My mom has that same issue with mom's that just don't know about letting their kids go for someone else to tell them about all that but sometimes i think it's better to let someone else get the point across. anyways their gonna hear it from friends if they don't go..haha! you know how kids talk...good luck though!

The Kay Family said...

The presentation is during school hours and parents aren't invited. But we do have the option of viewing it ahead of time before we decide. I think that's the route I'm taking.

Camdon said...

What?

Andrew, Marci and Brinlee Bailey said...

Make Justin deal with it!

Melanie said...

Meeka- I just had to share this with you--the short part of the story--I have a friend who had an IUD-fell out and she ended up having triplets----totally unexpected....