Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Nacho Tay's a daddy?

Taylor's my cousin. I won't say he's my favorite, that wouldn't be fair. But, out of all of my cousins, he's the one I know the best. This is because he's the youngest and by the time his parents moved to Boise everyone else was out of the house. We got to know each other when he was in high school. To know him is to love him. He had a lot of big, blue hair and my two older boys, who were then like 2 & 4, were afraid of him. They called him the Boogey man.

We worked together before his mission. Once, in the middle of a shift, he said to me, "watch my section while I go take a dump."

Once he brought a date out to the house to baby-sit while we went out. It was awesome. Not the date...he can, and did, do better. It was awesome that he was willing to do it in the first place.

Once when Jamon got baptized he came and brought a gift. It wasn't a set of scriptures or a tie tack. No no. Nothing prepares a young boy to enter the waters of baptism like a Boise State bobble-head.

He lived with us once. He went to all the trouble of moving his stuff out to Kuna and then he only stayed a week.

Once he borrowed our old pick-up and it ran out of gas on him. Only he didn't know that. He thought he broke it. He didn't know that all he had to do was flip the switch over to the other tank. He just left it on the side of the road. He called us the next day to tell us where the truck was.

Once he was thinking about breaking up with his girlfriend (who is now his wife). I'm glad he chose to come to me to talk about this. And I'm glad he decided not to do it.

Once at Christmastime he called to see if we were home. He said he was on his way out and that he had something for us. We waited and waited. Then like an hour and a half later he called and said never-mind...he wasn't coming.

Once Taylor told us he was having a baby. I wasn't sure what that was going to look like.

Then on Sunday I saw what that looked like. It was amazing! The scriptures tell us, "every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name."

It was such a privilege to be there for this blessing. Taylor gave a beautiful, articulate, heart-felt prayer. I have never been more proud of our Nacho Tay. After the blessing we were trying to figure out what Emery was to me ( I think first cousins once-removed) and to my boys ( I think second cousins once-removed). I don't know for sure and I don't really care. He's family. That's all that matters. We love you Taylor, Tara, and Emery Tay!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the christmas treats. We got tired and went home instead... And ate them. We owe you guys.
Thanks for the tribute. It made us laugh pretty hard.

Lisa said...

All classic Taylor moves. My fav Taylor moment was when we were all loaded up in the van trying to get on the road to Nauvoo, Taylor mosies out the door then casually goes back into the house. We're ALL in the car waiting and ready to go. Dad probably even had the car running...that's how ready we were. Mom goes back in to see what the heck is taking so long...he's in the shower.

Anonymous said...

Lisa that is not how I recall the shower incident. I remember you watching days of our lives and that is why were all waiting in the car.

I never knew my behavior was so typical of myself.

Lisa said...

Nope. You are remembering things that didn't happen again.

Leslie said...

One time, right before they moved to Boise, I answered the phone, and it was Taylor, and he started singing, "I just called to say I love you. I just called to say how much I care." I thought it was so sweet that my 15 yr old brother would do that and for me no less. Taylor is the only one of my siblings who will call me up,out of no where, just to say, "Hi!"

Gotta love that kid. I love you Tay-luh!