Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Trash or Treasures?


Lately I have been obsessed with the TLC show about hoarders. It drives Justin crazy, but I can't help myself. I'm fascinated by this disorder! Check this out....



WebMD says this about hoarding: "When your junkaholic behaviors involve acquiring and keeping objects that appear to have limited if any value, and they begin to take over your living space, you meet the definition of a hoarder. Such people can't make a decision about the worth of anything, from food tins to tattered receipts, and over a period of years, they may accumulate mountains of "stuff" that can eventually leave them isolated and almost incapacitated in their own homes."

Like I said...fascinating. To me anyway. Justin's always asking what my fascination with the mentally ill is. I don't know where it comes from. It's just there.

But my hours of watching this show finally paid off! Most of you know my 82 year old friend from Sizzler. She's like an adopted grandma. I see her weekly and check in on her when I don't. She's been upset because she bought a new car from her daughter but it's bigger than her old one and it won't fit in her garage. She hasn't been able to sleep over the issue so I told her I'd help. Man! I didn't know what I was getting into. This woman is a boarder-line hoarder. Her home isn't this way, but the garage. Oh man, the garage.

It took me 2 full days to figure out how the car was going to fit without her having to give up too much of her stuff. I learned from the show to say things like: "nothing leaves without your permission." And "do you still feel in control?"

I was so proud of the fact that she let me take two trips to the D.I. Both times my van was filled to the brim. I felt just like one of those clinical psychologists from the show. In fact, after we were done, she gave me a big hug and through tears said: "you know why I love you? Because you don't just tell me it's junk and get rid of it. You're patient and let ME decide what goes."

She'll be 83 on Thursday. Her daughter asked her what she wanted for her birthday. Her response?

"NO MORE SH*@!"

I think I'm putting that on her cake.....

3 comments:

Amber said...

HAHAHA that's a cute story! How nice of you to help. That would take some patience for me! good job. You should apply for the show maybe???

Jessica said...

oh you have a new calling in life...I should call TLC and let them know they're missing out on a good employee =)

Emili said...

Wow, can you come help me when you're done? I don't have piles and piles of junk (luckily) but I have boxes of old things that I need to go through! But its mentally challenging sometimes! You are awesome for helping, that's quite a service!

As for the trampoline, its a spring free tramp and I LOVE IT. We all do. It is the best tramp I've ever been on, but the best part is that it doesn't have any springs to fall through, no bars to jump or land on and I feel like its 100x safer than any other trampoline I've ever been on. We bought it on costco.com - but I don't think they have them on their at the moment. Maybe in another month? I've saw one on craig's list once. Its more expensive, but I think its totally worth it.