Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cannery Assignment

I am sorry to admit that I've never been to the cannery before.  When the sign up sheet rolls around, I just pass it along.  My reasons for not going are selfish, of course, and I guess I've never caught the spirit of humanitarian work. Until now. 

 Justin and I decided that we should be better about stuff like this, especially considering our leadership callings.  So, tonight we went for the first time and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. We did peaches and the four hours flew by!  Of course it helped that we had friends from the ward there to pass the time with.  :)  

Anyway, I had forgotten that there is a very unique joy to be found when you serve others in this capacity.  I guess I've had humanitarian aide on my mind this week because of the Boise fires that destroyed ten homes and left those families without anything. 

 It is such a priviledge to be able to work.  So often we see it as a bad thing, but tonight I was reminded that it is a blessing.  There's a line from a movie the kids like to watch that says "One of the greatest prizes life has to offer is working hard at work worth doing."  I couldn't agree more!  

2 comments:

Jessica said...

we've only been to the cannery for ourselves, but we should go for someone else for a change...thanks for that!

Amber said...

I've never been to the cannery, but that is one thing I have been wanting to do. That's really sad about those families, I hope they get lots of help and service. What is it that you want from traditions? I could probably pick it up for you, I am going tomorrow I think. Just call me or something!