Sunday, September 14, 2008

Two Boys and their asthma...

Most of you know that Camdon has asthma.  Carter does too, but it's a little known fact because his is much milder, more predictable, and way more manageable.  Just a few weeks ago, in fact, he had an attack that I had to have help with.  He wasn't responding to the treatments at home and I knew he wouldn't make it through the night without help.  So, I called his doctor and he called in a prescription for the "hard stuff".   We drove the 30 minutes to the all night pharmacy (this was around midnight) and then Carter slept while the medicine did it's thing.  

And while all this was happening, I remember thinking how different it was this time around. With Carter, I have learned to trust the medicine and trust that Carter isn't going to do anything scary.  I know that when he sleeps, I can sleep.  It's so different with Camdon.

All of this is leading up to the fact that we spent the afternoon in the E.R. with Camdon today.  His asthma attacks are so unpredictable and he can go from bad to worse in seconds!  He has had a cold the last few days, so it wasn't a surprise that it triggered an asthma attack.  But he hasn't had one this severe in about 2 1/2 years. I guess I thought he was growing out of it and I let my guard down.  

Anyway, to make a long story short, we knew he wasn't doing well and I thought I'd better take him into one of those "Doc-in-the box" places.  Justin had to run into the office because one of the servers had gone down, so I told him we'd just go when he got back.  At this point he wasn't too bad.  Well, Justin hadn't even made it to the office yet when we were headed to the E.R.  He was throwing up in the car on the way there and he was pretty pale.  I knew he wasn't moving a lot of air.  

I kept having flashbacks from 3 1/2 years ago when he got pneumonia and his lung collapsed.  That day was so scary!  Luckily the chest X-rays showed clear lungs and we only had to stay a couple of hours.  They put him on oxygen and ran fluids and meds through an IV and we were good to go.  All that Albuterol really messes with him, though.  The car ride home was pretty funny.  "Why does it smell like doughnuts in here?"  "How do you expect me to throw up when it smells like doughnuts."  And for the record...there were no doughnuts.  The only thing I was smellin' was the puke from the car ride to the hospital.  It was all over the van floor!  But, when you're high as a kite, I guess puke smells like pastry.  
Anyway, Justin was following us home and Camdon said, "it sure was nice of Dad to come out."  Umm..yeah.  Interesting choice of words.  All I could say was, "well, you know...gotta support the team."  I know what he meant though.  This was Camdon's 6th visit to the E.R. that I could think of.  It was the first time Justin was there.  Usually he stays behind to watch the others because it's the middle of the night, or we have a baby, or whatever the different reasons were.   I hope all these years Camdon wasn't thinking it's because he didn't care. 

Anyway, he's home and doing okay.  He should be back to normal in a day or two.  Thanks to Amy who came and got Jamon and Carter and took them back to her house.  Thank goodness for great friends!  

And thank goodness for you, Camdon.  We love you so much and are so sorry you have to deal with this disease.  I don't know why you have it so bad and Carter only struggles a little.  And why in the world did Jamon get off scott free?  

3 comments:

Jessica said...

because Jamon needs to be able to play college ball =) I'm sorry though that Camdon's got it so bad...I couldn't imagine wondering if my child will be able to breathe...you're a great mom and your boys are lucky to have you.

Amber said...

I'm so sorry Camdon, that is an aweful thing to go through, I did have to laugh about the donuts though! hehe

Anyways we are glad he is ok, we love him. I agree with Jess you are a great mom and they are SO lucky to have you:)

The Kay Family said...

aaww..thanks guys