Thursday, September 25, 2008

I need somewhere to put my cow!

Justin and I are getting a cow.  Or a pig.  We don't know for sure yet.  There's a local farm that offers a "meat subscription".  Every three months you get a certain amount of meat.  I looked into it this summer and thought I really wanted to do this.  It was more economical than the grocery store, but space was an issue.  I use my freezer for butter,  juice, jam, bread, etc.  I didn't think I could fit all that meat in my kitchen.  So, we've been looking into getting a deep freeze for the garage.  At first, I thought the chest freezer was the way to go.  However, I've talked with people who say they don't like them and if they could do it again, they'd get an upright.  Does anyone out there have a strong opinion either way?  I think I see benefits to both.  Maybe it's just a preference thing.  Anyone...? 

5 comments:

Amber said...

I think we are going to get a chest one. I don't know the difference. Broc found one at Sams Club for only $150 so I think we are going to get that one. I think your smart for doing this, my in laws bought a pig and are going to give us a little, watch pretty soon we'll all be buying chickens and milking cows! Good Luck!!

Jessica said...

to justin:
haha, ya Travis says the same thing...he hates that he checks out the blog at work and some "girly" song starts blasting out of his office...not so good for the image I guess. So want to tell me how?? I want to keep it on my blog but not to start playing first off.

Unknown said...

We have an upright and we like it. We had a chest at mom's place and any time you had to get something you had to dig through the whole thing to find what you need. It was impossible to keep organized and you ended up digging it out once a year to throw away the stuff you'd forgotten was all the way at the bottom.

Leslie said...

So I took the weekend to think about this important question and I have decided you should go for an upright. First, for the reason that Ryan gave. And second, for the fact that the upright will take up less floor space. Your welcome. Anything else you want me to figure out for you?;)

The Kay Family said...

Well, upright it is! Thanks for the incredible thought put into this.