Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Who are you and what have you done with my husband?

As most of you know, a year ago we moved into a house that is nearly twice the size and twice the payment of our previous house. The only thing that didn't double was our income. So, as you can imagine, things have been tight for us this year. We have been making it work though, by some miracle. We have TRIED to cut costs along the way and one of the things we decided to "do without" was our dish network that we had before.

This past year has flown by with no one really missing this "luxury" that we call cable. Until now. Football season changes things in my family! Justin called me this afternoon to inform me he ordered dish network today. This, because he had to listen to his buddy at work tell him all about the games he DVR'd and how he watched them in just 45 minutes! Now don't get me wrong....I'm not complaining about this impulse buy, it's just a rarity for my husband. He is the most cost-conscientious person I know and with Carter now in preschool and the boys starting up piano lessons again, we'll have a lot of extra expenses that we didn't have this summer. So, that's why I'm surprised. This is just really unlike him.

But, I have to admit, I'm SUPER SUPER excited to have cable again! With the holidays quickly approaching I will definitely be enjoying the food network. I love to see what they cook up for the holidays. I will also be reuniting with my old friend Stephen Colbert. I'm ashamed to admit that I have a little crush on this guy! He's so stinkin' funny and his extreme conservativism is very sexy.

Anyway, here's to football season and the intense pressure it puts on people to see all the games. Thanks for cable, honey!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Holy Crap! I have a crush on Stephen Colbert too! That guy is genius!

Lisa said...

Are you getting the DVR too? I LOVE my DVR. It has totally changed my life. If we ever cancelled that I would be really depressed. We are at Matt's mom's house and everytime we have to make sure she gets to watch her show...Survivor, Deal of No Deal, Extreme Makeover, insert reality show of choice...Not only that but his sister will leave the party early so she won't miss her show. I will digress and not go on about priorities and watching too much TV and not letting the TV schedule be the schedule for your life...I just tell them they need to get TiVo or DVR. It's so annoying when we want to play games or anything to have to stop and let her watch her show or say goodbye to her sister. Wow! I didn't mean to go on like that. You just mentioned DVR and my love for it just came rushing out.

Amber said...

I agree the DVR is the best! We have been wanting to cut alot of costs this year too and I just couldn't handle getting rid of Dish Network. I know it's sad but it's so entertaining for Brylee to have her cartoons. Happy TV watching!!

The Kay Family said...

oh, yes! He splurged. DVR & HD package...the whole nine yards! Yay!