Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Special Olympics

I was going to keep this little story to myself, because even though it's pretty funny, I thought it would embarrass Camdon. BUT, he has his own little blog and HE posted first. So, I figure that opens the door for me. Here ya go:

The special Olympics took place in Idaho this year. Justin took Camdon boarding on his birthday, and the races were going on. The coach lift was closed to the public for the races, so Cam had to go on a different lift than he was used to. He made a run or two without too much trouble, but on the third run, he ate it. As he was lying there in the snow, he was passed by a special Olympian from Sweden. The guy totally laughed at him. He got laughed at by the special Olympics!!! This is funny to me for so many reasons. I know that sounds like I'm a mean mom. But, I think it's good to be served a piece of humble pie every now and again.

Here's a kid who sits at the top of his class, he goes to Gifted and Talented (GAT), he's nominated for the National Honor Society...yada yada yada. He's popular and a natural leader. So, it'll do him some good to be at the bottom for a change. You'll never learn compassion for others if you don't fail every now and again. Think of the confidence booster it must've been for this guy to be able to whiz by and laugh at someone else's struggle for a change.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I read that story on Camden's blog. I laughed pretty good about it.