Saturday, March 28, 2009

When we're helping we're happy....






There is no worse news to hear than that your mother has volunteered you for a service project. So of course, my three boys were thrilled when I told them we would be spending our last day of spring break helping the elderly. The chorus of moans and groans was music to my ears. After all, if they are this upset with me than I must be doing the right thing, right?

I have an elderly friend who doesn't really act elderly. She's pretty much awesome and since I don't have any living grandparents (Justin does, but they aren't living close to us) I have adopted her as my own. I've known her for 12 years and am happy to help her in any way that I can. She needed a bunch of yard work done and I jumped at the chance to help her. First, I love doing yard work. Second, my boys spent enough time this week on their DS's and X boxes. I knew it was time they payed it forward. After all, it's her daughter and son- in- law that take us to the lake all the time and let the boys ride go-carts and let Carter test drive tractors whenever he wants. I figured they needed to learn a lesson in not being a free-loader.

So we spent our Saturday making a sweet old lady very happy. I left very happy as well because I was so proud of the effort the boys gave. They each had assigned jobs and performed like true hard- working men. Here are some pictures I can use later as proof that it REALLY DOES feel good to help others! They are having so much fun.

I should've thought to get an "after" picture because after they dug up the rose bushes, they laid plastic and hauled and poured 10 bags of river rock.  It looked awesome when we were done.  



1 comment:

Emili said...

That's awesome! I was reading some statistics yesturday on how youth go much further in life if they help their parents volunteer when they are younger, or something like that. Here's the link http://oneshetwoshe.blogspot.com/2009/03/im-bored.html -- if you want to read it. And if you really want blessings, you should come down and help us with our yard next!