Monday, October 13, 2008

About a Boy


Camdon's birthday was Saturday and came and went without any pomp or circumstance.  It was so different from Jamon's big day on Tuesday.  Camdon doesn't need a big to-do.  He had a little list of things he really wanted, which he got, and the only thing he wanted to do for his birthday was go to dinner with his best friend, Brandon.  Brandon also turned 11 this week, so it was a little gift for both of them.  Justin took Jamon to Taylor's to watch the game and I took the two birthday boys out to eat.  Afterwards, I took them shopping to spend a little of their birthday money.  

As I was pondering the fact that I now have an 11 year old (how did that happen?), I was so proud to realize Camdon is the spittin' image of is dad.  Not in the physical sense ( I think he looks more like me) but rather in personality.  Justin doesn't like a lot of attention to be drawn to him and Camdon is the same way.  In fact when Grandma Kay called to talk to him, he declined.  Hmmm..who else does this remind me of? :)  I'm usually the one who talks to my mother-in-law on the phone.  

Camdon, like Justin, has a small circle of friends he considers "soul mates".  This is so different from Jamon who has a different best friend every week and is all about being the center of attention.  Camdon is wise beyond his years and very cautious about the choices he makes.  He is kind and loving and smart as a whip.  He is first to offer help and as I watched Justin and Camdon dig up the potatoes together, I knew his work ethic will be as impressive as Justin's.  

Anyway, it's exciting to see him grow into a young man.  He earned his Weblos and this week at pack meeting he'll be receiving his arrow of light.  For those of you not familiar with scouting, it's the highest award a cub scout can earn (it's the equivalent of the Eagle Scout award for the Boy Scouts).  He turned 11 just in time for his first scout camp-out this weekend.  We have a phenomenal group of boys that age and I'm glad he gets the opportunity to go through the scouting program with them.  

So, happy birthday, Camdon.  I'm so glad you're like your dad!  I love you both so much!!!

Here he is with one of the books he's been wanting and his Boise State beanie to keep him warm this fall.  Which by the way, is another way he's like his dad. He asked for things he "needed".  Gotta love 'em!  


3 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday Camdon! I won't call him on the phone =) It's fun to hear about him since we don't get to see you guys.

Whitney said...

Camdon, Sorry we didn't call you on your birthday. Hope you enjoyed Brynn's card. Camdon is looking older now. Kind of sad. I'm glad we could live by you while they were young. It sounds like he didn't miss the call.

Amber said...

Happy birthday Cam! I wish I was wise enough to ask only for the things I "need". You are an awesome nephew and cousin!