Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lessons from a four year old....

Yesterday was my day to do carpool for preschool.  When I picked up the kids Carter taught me a very valuable lesson:  

We have built-in car-seats and the five point harness can be tricky to someone who doesn't know what they're doing.  So, I was helping Kylie and showing her what to do, while Carter was waiting his turn just outside the van.  So, when it was his turn to get in I turned to him and he was bent down picking up rocks and playing in the dirt and being a boy.  I said, "Carter c'mon...get in."  He was diddling around and I said, "Hurry, Carter!"  Then when he wanted help buckling, I said, "You don't need help, you know how."  

He instantly started crying and asked: "Why do you always save your patience and kindness for other people??!!"

OUCH!  Wow, I guess I don't give him enough credit.  I hadn't realized he was even paying attention to the way I was treating Kylie.  And, he's right.  I think we all do it.  We treat strangers on the street better than we treat our own families sometimes.  It reminded me of the quote by President Hinckley.  We CAN all be doing a little better and be a little kinder.  Sorry, little man.  And thanks for keeping me on my toes!  

2 comments:

Amber said...

oh Meeka! How sad but cute! It's crazy how much the young ones pay attention to those things. Thanks for that because I definately need to have more patience with Brylee.

Whitney said...

You write some good stories. Those boys are wise and smart. You are lucky to have such great boys. Your welcome for the cards. I forgot to write on them. The cards were compliments of Brynn if you want to tell the boys. They were probably wondering.... ha ha She was really excited to do them. I guess that is better than one from Walmart. :)