Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Packin' heat...

A few weeks ago during Earth Science class, a friend of Cam's brought in a big box of rocks and minerals.  Those who know Camdon well, will know that this is right up his alley.  As he was fishing through the box, he found a shell casing hidden in there and asked the girl if he could have it.  What did she care?  He thought he'd hit the jackpot! So, he put in in his backpack and that was that.  

Fast forward a few weeks to this morning on the bus.  He's forgotten all about the bullet, but it falls out of his backpack and the bus-driver finds it after she dropped everyone off.  They have assigned seats on the bus, so she knew it was one of three boys.  Camdon was called out of class and questioned.  He, being the good boy that he is, told the truth about what had happened. 

 Now, I understand that the school was just doing what they thought was best here, but they proceeded to search him and his backpack looking for a gun.  Then they inform him that the police and/or the school would be calling me.  This happened in the morning and needless to say, Camdon felt horrible all day long.  His poor little friends from the bus were called in and questioned and their parents were called too.  He felt so awful that they had been drug into it.  

Here's the part that ticks me off.......shouldn't I have been called right away?  Why was I hearing this from Camdon after he had been holding it in all day?  By the time I got to him he was sobbing and shaking and he said, "Mom, they thought I shot someone!"  Now, I'll admit, it took some self control to hold in the laughter on this one.  I knew they didn't think he shot someone, but in his little mind, that's how they were making him feel.  Here's where I would've wanted to be at the school; to reassure him that they were just following procedure. This guy really could've used him mamma today, and  I'm disappointed that I wasn't notified immediately.  I did get a call from the detective after school, but it was on my cell, and I didn't hear it ringing until it was too late.   

I understand that the school has a reasonable amount of authority here, but am I wrong in thinking I should've been there?

Anyway, the funniest part about it all was that Camdon was so scared of what Justin was going to do to him!  I knew he wasn't going to be mad, but poor Cam was sure he was a dead man.  There was a very clear look of relief on his face when he discovered Justin wasn't going to kill him.  

Anyway, after it was all said and done, I realized that the home really is a place of peace and shelter from the storms of the world.  He had been through a very traumatizing experience all alone today and it wasn't until he got home that he could feel safe enough to let his feelings out.  He learned a little something about love and trust today.  He learned a little about his dad, too!  This parenting thing is really getting interesting!

3 comments:

Amber said...

oh my word, i think they blew that situation a little out of proportion and I agree that you should have been contacted. I think you should tell the school how you feel! I feel so bad for him. How aweful...I hope he has a better day tomorrow!

Jessica said...

oh poor kid! Doesn't it feel good that he can confide in his family and in the walls of his own home...love that. You're doing a great job with those boys.

Whitney said...

I agree. Poor guy! That is traumatic. See you soon.